Lochte on peeing in pool: 'Sometimes you just gotta go'

Swimmer Ryan Lochte is going home with five Olympic medals, but it's what he left behind in the pool in London that has made some joking headlines as the Olympics wind down.

Lochte was in the spotlight a week ago when he admitted to TODAY special correspondent Ryan Seacrest that he occasionally pees in the pool. Then came a "Funny or Die" parody video where he took the peeing theme to hilarious heights.

Lochte jokingly reiterated his stance in an interview with Matt Lauer on TODAY Friday.

“I mean, sometimes you just gotta go,” he said.

British prime minister David Cameron was not amused once he heard how Lochte was using London’s Olympic pool. “I was surprised to hear that,” he told Britain's Metro newspaper. “It’s not OK to pee in the pool.”

Lochte has certainly stood by his right to relieve himself in the water. When comedian Will Ferrell called and asked him to make a “Funny or Die” video on the subject, he jumped at the opportunity. In the video Lochte says, “The way I see it, the pool is the biggest, most expensive toilet and it’s all mine. That’s the only time I allow myself to pee. Animals, they mark their territory. I pee in the pool. That’s my territory.”

Luckily for the pools of the world, Lochte isn’t going anywhere near one for at least a little while after a whirlwind Olympic experience.

“I’m definitely going to take some time off," he told Lauer. "It's been four years of every day in the pool. I think it’s time for me to take at least a couple weeks.”

Lochte isn’t worried that the come-down after the Olympics will lead to a crash. He has already said that he plans on making a run at a spot in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro when he will be 32 years old.

“The Olympics is great," he said. "But for me, I treat every meet, every swim meet that I go to, the exact same. It just has a different name to it. And you know what? I love racing. And I want to keep doing it for another four years.”

While the world waits to see him in Rio in 2016, he'll be keeping busy on dry land. He already is entertaining multiple reality TV offers, and he has plans to move to Los Angeles, which he said has been a big goal of his for a long time. He told Lauer he hopes it will help him get into fashion.

“That is my passion,” he said. “When swimming is all said and done I definitely want to get into fashion and design my own clothing line.”

Read more:

Agent: Ryan Lochte fielding multiple reality TV offers

Ryan Lochte: I'd like to do 'Dancing with the Stars'

Ryan Lochte: 'I'm going another four years to Rio"

Phelps rival writes his own London headline: 'Ryan Lochte takes over'

People.com

Discuss this post

Jump to discussion page: 1 2

I'm a chemistry lab tech. Urine contains urea, protein, sodium, potassium, chloride, glucose and in many otherwise healthy folks, red blood cells, white blood cells and epithelial cells. These are all normally found in small amounts. No, it's not going to hurt anyone but it's definitely crass and childish to admit to peeing in the Olympic pool to the media where millions of people will hear or read your words. Up till now all the American Olympians have been respectful and representing the USA in the best possible manner. Lochte needs to get over himself and behave like an adult.

• 2 votes
Reply#29 - Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:13 PM EDT

You may as well tell them that some lab techs test by tasting.

But you know, if none of this mattered, we could eliminate some of the city water treatment. Is that really a good idea?

#29.1 - Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 PM EDT

He should be in the kiddie pool with the rest of the 4 yr. old's. They should make him swim wearing a pair of Depends.

Reply#30 - Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:30 PM EDT

Swimmers ROUTINELY take water into their mouths and spit it back out. So ok- pee in the pool is gross, but spit isn't? WTF?

Personally, I couldn't care less about a little pee, or spit, in the pool for all of reasons other posters have mentioned. I suspect a lot more people do it than admit to it.

• 2 votes
Reply#31 - Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:50 PM EDT

Please define 'a little'.

#31.1 - Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:49 PM EDT

You all are concerned about a little urine, I would be more concerned with the folks who don't properly clean themselves and get in the pool with fecal matter still attached.

• 2 votes
Reply#32 - Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:20 PM EDT

Studies have shown that this is even a problem with beach sand.

#32.1 - Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50 PM EDT

Too much info. Some things are better left unsaid. LOL

Reply#33 - Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:51 PM EDT

....... yawn......

Wake me when The Flintstones come on....

• 2 votes
Reply#34 - Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:21 PM EDT

Okay, he admits to urinating in the pool. Which one of them left the Baby Ruth bar floating after they got out. Hmmm.

Reply#35 - Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:52 PM EDT
janny joeDeleted

No news in this, however the guy is a selfish idiot. Nuff said about this article and him.

Reply#37 - Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:34 AM EDT

Yes it sounds gross but seriously everyone having a panic attack here should never go in a lake or ocean. There is A LOT more things floating in them than the average swimming pool not to mention the amount of chlorine in the pools kills everything including my eyes.

If there are any parents making the "OMG" comments to this article then I have to say WTF?, My kids have pee'd on me and worse over the years, it wipes off. Have had birds crap on me, stepped in dog poop etc... didn't have a mental meltdown, it wipes off.

Reply#38 - Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:41 AM EDT

You make a good point, which I completely agree with. Too many people want to kill the animals in said incidents. But do not miss the point about Lochte, who makes it sound like his peeing in the pool is just another routine matter. What if everyone decides that these things do not matter?

#38.1 - Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:03 PM EDT

So sexy Ryan Lochte wants to be a fashion designer? Methinks the boy has a little sugar in his tank. Meh, he is who he is, so what, but he sure is hot!

However, his mother's revelations regarding his sexual behavior and his peeing in the pool, not sexy.

I think people who don't wash their asses before they get in the pool are grosser than people who actually pee in it, but peeing in the pool is pretty juvenile if you ask me once you get past the age of 12.

Reply#39 - Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:08 PM EDT

Isn't that something he could have kept to himself and showed a little class? It really wasn't necessary to broadcast it to the entire world and show how juvenile you are. It really doesn't help the American image, which is what he should have been thinking about before he opened his mouth with that dumb statement. There are some things better left unsaid. That was one of them. Grow up Lochte!

Reply#40 - Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:39 PM EDT

He admits it. Sometimes honesty is painful. Get serious. Ryan simply said what millions of pool swimmers know but keep to themselves.

Reply#41 - Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:22 AM EDT

Is he 'free' now?

#41.1 - Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:05 PM EDT

The answer to pollution is......dilution.

• 2 votes
    Reply#42 - Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:02 PM EDT

The next Olympics we should put the chemical in that turns the water a color when you pee so that way, it can be colorful and entertaining for all swimmers and viewers... oh look.. lanes 1-5 have bright red streaks !!! Go USA !!! Yes...just go...

Reply#43 - Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:39 PM EDT

does he poop in it too?

Reply#44 - Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:21 AM EDT
        Jump to discussion page: 1 2
        You're in Easy Mode. If you prefer, you can use XHTML Mode instead.
        As a new user, you may notice a few temporary content restrictions. Click here for more info.